Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Not Your Mother's Decoupage


The art of decoupage has been around since the 18th century. The term, in French, means "to cut out". Typically, images have been cut out and applied to boxes, screens and furniture.

While I can appreciate the traditional style of decoupage, just having one or even a few images on an object just seems so lonely. Therefore, I cover the ENTIRE object with decorative papers. I like the rich, saturated look that comes from using so much pattern and color. It can really enforce a theme, as well.

To make each box smooth and durable, I sand and varnish A LOT. Don't be surprised to see the paint underneath the paper. I like the distressed all the sanding creates. I do like a little bling, so I add microbeads and/or metallic paint accents.

I admit, I have used a butterfly or two in my work, so I haven't totally abandoned the old ways.

No comments: